Friday, June 02, 2006

calling all closet dental surgeons . . .

So I did go to the dentist -- Dr. Moores, as recommended by the Chois -- and had rather a rude awakening. She says the tooth in question is rotted halfway to Hades and back and badly abscessed. How in heaven's name I didn't feel anything until Tuesday remains a mystery. It still doesn't particularly hurt. But there it is. She says I need a root canal and a crown, totalling up around two friggin' grand. And of course they haven't worked out a dental plan yet for renegade poets. As most of you know I'm planning on travelling with the Bishop in the fall, which means a net income of booger all cubed (which nixes paying it on some kind of installment plan). I can borrow the money from my parents, it's money that they aren't USING right now but will certainly need and they're understandably a little hesitant (though being the kind of people they are of course they won't say no). I asked if I could get the tooth pulled, and she hemmed and hawed and said she really thinks it's a bad idea, it's a really important molar that I really need and that I would probably need to get a bridge or an implant eventually, which would be just as expensive. On the other hand, there's really no guarantee that going the expensive route (ha ha root) will save the tooth anyway. I'm going in Monday and I haven't decided what I'm doing yet. So I'm mostly asking your prayers: that I'll make the right decision, that my mouth won't go to rack and ruin, and that my finances will maintain enough equilibrium that I can carry on with my plans for the fall. But also if anyone out there happens to know anything about these matters, or doesn't really know anything but just has a strong opinion anyway, I could really use some advice. IS THIS DENTIST JUST MESSING WITH MY HEAD????
a toothy rotting grin to all of you,
Jesse

8 comments:

tech-chick said...

Sorry it turned out that way! A second opinion from UBC school of dentistry probably won't hurt considering 2K is on the line. My sister & family were her patients AND tenants for years and Meredith has always been honourable to them so I don't think she's messing with your head -- that's her honest opinion.

J

hunchback scholar said...

Yeah, I believe she's being honest. I guess I'm a little cynical about anyone who charges two grand to do an hour's work . . . But my experience in her office was for the most very positive. I'm grateful for the recommendation and I'm sure that whatever I ask her to do she'll do it well . . . I'm just trying to figure out if the "safer" course she proposes is in fact the best one for me right now . . .

J

MommaKim said...

Why don't you explain your situation to her and see if her price is negotiable; dentists are in business for themselves and can make that call...you could offer to write her a poem:) I know Vladyka would tell you to drink Holy water.

tech-chick said...

Ok, Jesse, I've got another option. When I was little, I went to the REACH dental clinic on commercial drive. They are a non-profit organization so I'm hoping they will do a root canal for under $2000!

I received excellent dental care there as a kid and my teeth needed alot -- extractions, retainers etc. In fact, my orthodontist/prof gave a letter of recommendation to the young dentist who fitted my retainers at REACH and she was quite breathless at the sight of that.

Info is below. (They're still on commercial) Probably should have been my first reccomendation!

J

1145 Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC V5L 3X3
Ph: 604-254-5456
Website: www.reachcentre.bc.ca

tech-chick said...

Called that web number and it's a little off.
the Dental Clinic number for REACH is

604-254-1331

They are open Saturdays it seems

J

RW said...

I think Judy is offering good suggestions...

We will keep you in our prayers brother, this is a mere little challenge on your journey...

peace
Ramona

hunchback scholar said...

Thanks, Judy for the advice, and thanks everyone for prayer. I tried to call reach today but there was no answer. I'll try again Monday morning before I do anything rash . . .

Mira-cle said...

Jesse, I feel for you! My dentist has told me the same thing, and I spent 4.5 hours last week in her chair, and another 2.5 are scheduled for next week. This was thankfully covered under my UVic and parents' dental plans, and involved removing old fillings and re-filling, new fillings, and who knows what else. She said that three of my sensitive teeth may need a root canal, and one a crown. And apparantly I have great teeth, she says. I just changed dentists and it seems that this one is really good, but way more meticulous than my last one, who just a year and a half ago told me that there's no extra work needed on my teeth.

Personally I think that you can go a while before doing that tooth, as long as it doesn't hurt too much. I say this because one of the teeth my dentist wants to root canal has been sensitive for years. The other two have just started to get sensitive after she worked on them last week. If you give it more time, you may get into a situation where you have dental insurance that will cover it (say you go back to school or you get a job with benefits). And that REACH clinic sounds promising. I think you should give it some more time, unless it is really painful, and a much less expensive alternative should arise.