Friday, August 04, 2006

Shave and a Hairshirt

"By confusing the existing with the nonexistent, the ritualistic religious outlook was extended to ordinary objects and customs of everyday life as well: everything native and Russian seemed Orthodox and everything alien was heretical and "heathen". Russians wore beards, and the beard became an essential symbol of being Orthodox, while the clean-shaven face was a sign of belonging to the Latin heresy. The council of the Hundred Chapters forbade the celebration of funeral services for those without beards, as well as the offering of communion bread or candles on his behalf; he should be counted with the unbelievers."
(quoted by Fr Schmemann in "The Historical Road of Eastern Orthodoxy")

14 comments:

thomasw said...

quis pro? to show a tendency toward philetism in Russia? was there some further commentary intended? :)

hunchback scholar said...

Just some thought for those of us who weren't born-and-beard Orthodox . . .

hunchback scholar said...

As moustache we all wish we were . . .

hunchback scholar said...

No burns intended . . .

hunchback scholar said...

Nor am I trying to cause my brother to stubble . . .

hunchback scholar said...

My only hope is that we might all be shaved.

Dan said...

I'll try not to lose face over you comments, but I did find them a bit lippy. Even though I whis-cursing you before, I decided it would be best no to go-tease-ing you. So keep your chin up... I'll trim-my best to control myself.

Dan said...

I am pleased to see that this discussion is growing. I'll try not to over-shadow it too much with my cheeky comments.
Phil, I thank you for keeping an eye on your words and not lashing out at us in this hairy exchange. Everyone knows-hair discussions can get long and it'snot my nature to simply blow them off.
Well I'd love to sculpt a few more comments, but I have to head off to Church now.

Magdalen said...

...........

"our lives are... different from other people's."

hunchback scholar said...

As much as I comb over all this folli, cle-arly the entire escalpade was baldly perpetrated by a few, and it's time for them toupee forehead. Magdalen played a part, it's true, but hair loss.

Friends, have we truly beard our souls? We wax geloquent, but have we been the moussed we can be? Have we led our brushers and scissors into the trim of style? We have fallen hair. Let'spray we might still razor selves.

Dan said...

Jesse, I think our souls will be some-mowhok-ay, even if we receive afro-wn hair and there. Maybe we've bun taking too mushroom with our comments, but I don't think it will en-tail any perm-anent damage to our souls. I will,however, mullet over and try to buzz safer with my comments.

biss said...

That'zit?

Jenny said...

Oh. My. Goodness.
Don't you guys have a life you have to get to?

Crystal

Unknown said...

We have lives? Doesn't going to Church qualify? :S

Neo