Monday, January 01, 2007

Theophany Celebrations at St. Herman's








Friday Jan 5th, 7 pm: Vigil and blessing of waters. Bring your bottles to take holy water home

Saturday Jan 6th, 9 am: (note early time!)

Liturgy . If you aren't at vigil lFriday night, remember a bottle Saturday morning to carry home holy water. After liturgy we will go to bless the Fraser River at Derby Reach Park, just a short drive away from the church. (note we will not be doing the Greek custom of throwing a cross in the water for retrieval as the Fraser waters flow dangerously fast. Please watch your kids carefully at the waterside. )

Park Map and Directions here if you want to download them, we will have more copies at the church.

I haven't heard of breakfast/lunch plans-- I suppose we are just coming back to the church afterward as on Sundays? If people were feeling ambitious I suppose we could make pancakes or something.....(not volunteering myself, mind you-- I'm not that into pancakes and don't cook them very well!) Weather forecast is for "Variable cloudiness", but a high of 9 degrees might be a touch cool for a picnic...;-)

ADDENDUM: For those in Vancouver, St. John of Shanghai is also having a Theophany liturgy, 10 AM Sat. Jan. 6th at Dunbar Lutheran. There is a potluck celebration at the Chois' home in the afternoon/evening, but I am not sure of the time, if you know for sure, please add that info to the comments.

3 comments:

RW said...

I think I might be more inclined to bring a thermos of hot chocolate ...

Donna Farley said...

Mmmm!

I don't have a thermos...

RW said...

what = you don't have a thermos... I love my thermos.